Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an easy-to-make one-dish meal that reminds me of the type of casseroles my Mom made when I was younger. I've made it using leftover ham, or buying a ham slice in the meat department.
- 1 lb yukon gold potato, sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) container light chive & onion cream cheese
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh tarragon or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon, crushed
- 8 ounces cooked boneless ham, cut into bit-size pieces
- 1 lb fresh asparagus spear, trimmed, cut in 2 to 3-inch pieces
- fresh tarragon, sprigs for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In medium saucepan cook potatoes, covered, in small amount of lightly salted boiling water 5-7 minutes, just until tender. Drain; transfer to bowl and set aside.
- For sauce, in same pan combine cream cheese, milk, 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Heat and whisk until smooth and cheese is melted. Remove from heat; stir in tarragon.
- Layer potatoes, ham, asparagus, and sauce in 1 1/2-quart baking dish. Bake, covered, 20 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining Parmesan. Bake 10-12 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes. Top with tarragon and freshly ground black pepper.
Love this recipe, I found it in Better Homes and Gardens May 2008 issue and have made it a few times. It's very easy to make and so good! My sauce ends up a little watery so I'm going to have to fix that but it's still really good!
I found this on MSN recipes and after making it was sure that it would be posted here. This is a very easy to make and very tasty dish that my boyfriend loved. I couldn't really even think of anything to change, which is rare for me. I found that the 5-7 minutes was enough for the potatoes so long as they were sliced thinner. We will have this again, especially when asapargus goes on sale. Thanks for posting!
I made this last night and found that 5-7 minutes is definitely not enough time to make the potatoes tender. . . so plan your time accordingly. Aside from that, excellent dish! Will make again and share with friends and family!