Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a wonderful one-dish meal that my co-worker Louvenia ( a southern/soulfood cook) brings to work to share. It has a hash brown crust filled with delicious vegetables, eggs, ham and cheese. The combination of flavors is great! DH and I love this for dinner.
- 3 cups frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow squash or 1 1⁄2 cups zucchini, sliced in 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons basil, chopped or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup ham, diced
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup grated colby or 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese or 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Lightly grease a 9-inch pie plate.
- In a medium bowl beat one egg with the Parmesan.
- Toss the hash browns in the egg mixture.
- Press the hash brown mixture into the bottom and up the sides of the pie plate.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- While the crust bakes, melt the butter in a large skillet.
- Saute the squash and sweet red pepper for about 5 minutes, just to soften.
- Remove from heat; cool one minute.
- Stir the basil, salt, black pepper and ham into the squash/pepper mixture.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat the remaining 2 eggs and the milk.
- Add the egg/milk mixture and grated cheese to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture over the potato crust.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes or until set.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.