Recipe by Rita~
A quick, easy, hearthy, comfort soup for those cold winter days. A great way to use left over smoked ham. This is rich and creamy. If you like a thinner soup omit the dried potaoes. Which is how I started the soup but found it needed something more.That is where the dried potatoes come in. Serve as a main dish or a cup.Top with shredded cheese.
Top Review by RSL
This was very good. I used a combination of chicken stock and ham stock rather than water, and cut the cheese to 2 cups instead of 3. I think without using the stocks it would have needed some more flavor, so I'm glad I had those in the fridge needing to be used. I used the instant potatoes as I prefer a thicker soup, although I tasted it before adding the package and liked it with the thinner texture too.
- 6 potatoes, diced small
- 2 1⁄2 cups cooked smoked ham, diced small
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 5 leeks, white only sliced soaked to remove all the sand
- 6 cups water
- 3 cups shredded cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 package of betty crockers sour cream & chives instant mashed potatoes
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot melt butter and saute leeks and ham till softened add the rest of the ingredients except for the Betty Crockers sour cream& chives mashed potatoes and cook till potatoes are soft 15-20 minutes stirring so cheese doesn`t stick.
- Add the 1 package of potatoes and stir till nice and creamy.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.