Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I adapted this from a recipe I saw on the cooking channel.
Make and share this Potato Gumbo recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 bunch swiss chard, coarsely chopped, leaves and stems separated
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 lbs white potatoes, peeled and quartered
- salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste
- Add the onions and garlic to a coated high-sided saute pan over medium heat and saute until golden brown.
- Mix in celery, Swiss chard stems, and bell pepper. Saute until tender.
- Heat the 1/4 cup oil in the same saute pan, stir in flour and bay leaves.
- Stir with a wooden to form a paste. Cook until the flour becomes a nutty brown color.
- Stir in chicken stock, water, and cayenne.
- Add the potatoes and cook on medium heat about 30 minutes until the potatoes are tender and the liquid thickens.
- Add the Swiss chard leaves, season with salt, and pepper, and cook until the leaves are wilted.