Prep 2 hrs
Cook 10 mins
Another childhood favorite. Mom would serve these for dinner along with lingonberry preserves. Prep time includes 2 hours to rest the batter.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes (russets work well here)
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash white pepper
- butter or oil (for frying)
- Beat the egg and a little of the milk, then add the flour, sugar and remaining milk a little at a time while beating.
- Allow to stand for 2 hours.
- Peel and grate potatoes, then add to the batter and mix thoroughly.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat.
- Melt a little butter in the pan, just enough to coat the pan.
- Add a thin layer of batter.
- Cook on each side until golden brown, and place on a warmed serving platter.
- Continue with remaining batter.
- Serve immediately with bacon and lingonberries.
Very nice. I chose these as healthier than mashed potatoes, and yet they provided a wonderful potato presence next to my Magic Prime Rib Recipe. First I tried cooking with ghee in my All-Clad-style chef's pan; the batter stuck stubbornly to the pan. So I switched to a non-stick pan with a little canola oil, which worked very well. I chose this recipe partly because my new mixer has a food processing attachment and has a shredding plate just for potatoes for potato pancakes (how could I refuse!). Next time I will also get some ligonberry jam to top them. Made for The Wild Bunch of ZWT8 for its visit to Great Britain.
These were delicious, I had never used a batter in a potato cake before, but it is perfect for holding these little cakes together.Thank you for sharing.
Wish I could give it more stars! Delicious griddle cakes. Russet potatoes were on sale this week so it was a perfect time to tag this recipe in the Please Review my Recipe game. I used butter, with a little vegetable oil added, for frying. As the potato cakes were cooked I placed them in a low temperature oven on a cookie sheet to keep warm. Served with crispy bacon, sliced oranges, strawberries, and lingonberry preserves purchased at Ikea. Another potato recipe favorite.