Prep 15 mins
Cook 17 mins
This recipe is by Jill Van Cleave in Cooking Pleasures magazine. A Mediterranean-style vinaigrette, kalamata olives and feta cheese flavor this outstanding salad. Fresh and light, it makes an excellent first course or side salad for roast chicken or sauteed shrimp.
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lb red new potato, unpeeled
- 8 ounces green beans, cut diagonally into thirds
- 16 kalamata olives, pitted and sliced lengthwise
- 2⁄3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the vinaigrette ingredients except oil; slowly whisk in oil.
- Place onions in another small bowl; cover with cold water. Let stand while preparing salad; drain.
- Cut potatoes into 1/2-inch-thick slices; halve slices. Cook in large pot of boiling water 10 to 12 minutes or until tender. With slotted spoon, remove potatoes from water, draining well; reserve cooking liquid in pot. Place potatoes in large bowl. Add half of the vinaigrette; toss gently to combine.
- Add green beans to same pot of boiling water; cook 4 to 5 minutes until just tender. Drain; rinse under cold running water. Pat dry; add to potatoes. Stir in remaining vinaigrette. Add olives, cheese, and onions; stir gently to combine.
- Serve at room temperature.