Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a thick and hearty potato soup. It really satisfies a hungry appetite on a cold day. I have prepared the soup and left in a crockpot on low for several hours.
- 8 slices bacon, cut up
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1 cup frozen green beans, thawed
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Fry bacon until crisp in large dutch oven or stock pot.
- Add onion and saute for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Pour off fat; add potatoes and water.
- Bring to boil, cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in soup and sour cream.
- Gradually add milk.
- Add green beans.
- Add pepper and parsley.
- Heat to serving temperature.
- Do not boil.
This was good! Left out the parsley. I did add a little chicken bullion and red pepper. I will try it with sausage next time.
This is a keeper! Very easy to do and fairly quick. I used 3 slices bacon and a handful of tiny diced ham, added 2 big cloves of garlic to the onions, and had to use a bit more water than called for to cook the potatoes. I also used a LOT of pepper! I think I may try broccoli next time in place of the green beans. This didn't make enough to serve 6 in my opinion. We got 2 bowls, and leftovers for ~ 1 and a half bowls.
WOW! This soup is amazing! It's creamy but also flavorful, which is something a lot of creamy potato soups lack. Also, if you use fat free sour cream, skim milk and turkey bacon, it's also a very filling but reduced-calorie dinner! (this is what we did...it turned out great!) Sprinkle with a little low-fat mozzarella cheese, and you have a soup that makes for a great-tasting meal all by itself!