Recipe by Mizzy
This recipe is from Gourmet magazine. The white wine and white cheddars gives it a unique flavor. I usually half the recipe.
- 3 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled,cut into 1/8 inch-thick rounds
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 -2 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated (packed) sharp white cheddar cheese (about 6 ounces)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup dry white wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish.
- Layer 1/3 of potatoes in prepared dish, overlapping slightly.
- Sprinkle with 1/3 of salt and 1/3 of pepper.
- Sprinkle with 1/3 of tarragon, then with 1/3 of cheese.
- Repeat layering twice more with remaining potatoes, salt, pepper, tarragon, and cheese.
- Whisk cream and wine in medium bowl to blend.
- Pour over potatoes.
- Bake uncovered until potatoes are tender when pierced with knife and top is golden, about 1 hour.
- Let gratin stand 5 minutes before serving.