1/1 Photo of Potato Gratin With Porcini Mushrooms and Mascarpone Cheese
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Ex-Pat Mama's Note:
Submitted by Ingrid Quillen for Mascarpone Madness.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ounces dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 cup water, boiling
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, extra-virgin
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 cups mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pinch nutmeg, freshly grated
- 2 1/2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1Place porcini mushrooms in a medium bowl and cover with boiling water. Place a small bowl atop the mushrooms so that they stay submerged in the hot water. Soak for 20 minutes, then drain and coarsely chop the mushrooms.
- 2Place butter and oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. When the butter has melted add the mushrooms and saute just until they begin to brown, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and remove from heat. NOTE: this step can be done the day ahead. Refrigerate the browned mushrooms until ready to use.
- 3Whisk 1/4 cup parmesan, the mascarpone, whipping cream, garlic and nutmeg in a small bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. NOTE: this step can be done the day ahead - simply cover the bowl and chill until ready to use.
- 4Preheat the oven to 325°F Butter a wide shallow 2-quart baking dish. Arrange 1/4 of the potato slices in the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Scatter 1/4 of the mushroom mixture over all. Follow with another layer of 1/4 of the potatoes, and another layer of 1/4 of the mushrooms. Spread half of the cheese mixture over all, shaking the dish if necessary to allow the layers to settle.
- 5Cover the cheese layer with a layer of potatoes, a layer of mushrooms, another layer of potatoes and the last of the mushrooms. Finally spread all of the remaining cheese mixture over the top. Sprinkle the 2 tablespoons of parmesan over all.
- 6Place the gratin dish on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until the top is brown and the sauce is bubbling at the edges, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let rest 15 minutes before serving. NOTE: this dish can be made 2 hours ahead of time. Let stand at room temperature. Tent loosely with foil and rewarm at 300 F for 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato Gratin With Porcini Mushrooms and Mascarpone Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (224 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 302.1
- Calories from Fat 141
- Total Fat 15.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 48.4 mg
- Sodium 102.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 6.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: