Recipe by MarraMamba
Haven't made this yet but it has my favorite ingredients. From nov/07 bon appetit. Who doesn't like a potato gratin
Top Review by duonyte
What a nice side dish. I have to admit that I winged this a bit on the measurements, as I only needed a couple of servings. I used a gourmet mix of dried mushrooms, which worked out really nicely. I put them to soak in the morning, so they were very ready by the time I got home, plus I had flavorful soaking liquid to use.
- 4 ounces dried porcini mushrooms (*)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, plus
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups mascarpone cheese (** from about 1 1/2 seven-ounce containers)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 1⁄2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled, cut crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick slices (about 5 large)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place porcini and 1 cup boiling water in medium bowl. Place small bowl atop mushrooms to keep submerged. Let soak 20 minutes. Drain and coarsely chop mushrooms.
- Melt butter with oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and sauté until beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Whisk 1/4 cup Parmesan and next 4 ingredients in small bowl; season with salt and pepper.
- DO AHEAD: Mushrooms and cheese mixture can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover separately and chill.
- Preheat oven to 325°F Butter wide shallow 2-quart baking dish. Arrange 1/4 of potato slices in bottom of dish. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Scatter 1/4 of mushrooms over. Repeat. Spread half of cheese mixture over, shaking dish to settle. Repeat with remaining potatoes and mushrooms in 2 layers each; spread remaining cheese mixture over. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons Parmesan over. Place gratin dish on rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake gratin until top is brown and sauce is bubbling at edges, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Let gratin rest 15 minutes before serving.
- DO AHEAD: Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. Tent loosely with foil and rewarm in 300°F oven 20 minutes.