Recipe by Elmotoo
I found this at Epicurious & saved it to submit for the world Tour.
Top Review by momaphet
A good basic potato recipe, I liked how creamy they were, though for me the juniper didn't come through that strongly. Because of how hot it was today, I changed up the cooking method, cooking the peeled and sliced potatoes till tender firm in the microwave (I added extra juniper and salt to the water), then putting them together with everything in a covered cake pan and cooking them the rest of the way in my barbeque while grilling a pork. I used the upper rack on the no flame side and they cooked perfectly. Made for ZWT 9 by another one of the Appliance Killers.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons juniper berries (available in the spice section of some supermarkets)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3⁄8 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, potatoes (baking, about 4)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 375°F.
- Finely grind juniper berries in grinder.
- Whisk together cream, butter, 1 1/4 teaspoons ground juniper (discard remainder), salt, and pepper in a large bowl until combined. Peel potatoes and cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices. Fold potato slices into cream mixture and transfer to baking dish, spreading evenly. Cover tightly with foil and bake until potatoes are very tender, 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat broiler.
- Remove foil and broil potatoes 2 to 3 inches from heat until golden, about 6 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.