Recipe by kimbearly
from cooking light. looks awesome but as yet untried!i am guessing at prep time.
Top Review by BonnieZ
This is one of those dishes that tastes better than it looks. In fairness to the poster, I did use leftover spiral cut ham rather than deli ham. Maybe this was a factor in the appearance of the dish. The flavor is 4 stars, however I rated it 3 due to ultimate waste of 2 cups of the milk called for in the recipe. I think if I make this again, I would boil the potatoes in step 2 with 3 cups of water, and separately warm 1 cup of milk with the garlic so as not to waste the milk.
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 2 lbs small red potatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 ounces thin young green beans, trimmed
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced deli ham
- 1 cup gruyere cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- combine first 4 ingredients in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- bring to a boil,stirring constantly.
- reduce heat;simmer 10 minutes, stirring often.
- remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes.
- drain potatoes over a bowl, reserving 1 cup milk mixture and discarding bay leaves.
- cook green beans in boiling water for 2 minutes till tender-crisp.
- rinse in cold water.
- arrange half of potatoes in bottom of a 13x9 pan coated with cooking spray.
- arranges green beans and ham over potatoes.
- sprinkle with half of cheese, salt and pepper.
- top with remaining potatoes.
- sprinkle with remaining cheese, salt and pepper.
- stir nutmeg into reserved milk mixture and pour over potatoes.
- cover with foil, cutting vents into foil.
- bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
- uncover and bake an additional 20 minutes or until cheese begins to brown.
- let stand 10 minutes before serving.