Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
from cooking light. looks awesome but as yet untried!i am guessing at prep time.
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 2 lbs small red potatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 ounces thin young green beans, trimmed
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced deli ham
- 1 cup gruyere cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- combine first 4 ingredients in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- bring to a boil,stirring constantly.
- reduce heat;simmer 10 minutes, stirring often.
- remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes.
- drain potatoes over a bowl, reserving 1 cup milk mixture and discarding bay leaves.
- cook green beans in boiling water for 2 minutes till tender-crisp.
- rinse in cold water.
- arrange half of potatoes in bottom of a 13x9 pan coated with cooking spray.
- arranges green beans and ham over potatoes.
- sprinkle with half of cheese, salt and pepper.
- top with remaining potatoes.
- sprinkle with remaining cheese, salt and pepper.
- stir nutmeg into reserved milk mixture and pour over potatoes.
- cover with foil, cutting vents into foil.
- bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
- uncover and bake an additional 20 minutes or until cheese begins to brown.
- let stand 10 minutes before serving.
This is one of those dishes that tastes better than it looks. In fairness to the poster, I did use leftover spiral cut ham rather than deli ham. Maybe this was a factor in the appearance of the dish. The flavor is 4 stars, however I rated it 3 due to ultimate waste of 2 cups of the milk called for in the recipe. I think if I make this again, I would boil the potatoes in step 2 with 3 cups of water, and separately warm 1 cup of milk with the garlic so as not to waste the milk.