1/3 Photos of Potato Gratin with Caramelized Onions
2 hrs 30 mins
2 hrs 10 mins
Another Canadian Living mag. recipe I wanted to test for Thanksgiving dinner. Marvelous mouth watering potatoes and onion!! Half a recipe worked great!! and we will have it for Thanksgiving dinner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In saucepan, bring cream, garlic, peppercorns, thyme and salt to boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 2Remove from heat and set aside.
- 3Meanwhile, in nonstick frypan, heat oil over medium low heat; cook onion, stirring often, until light brown, about 45 minutes.
- 4Slice potatoes as thinly as possible, use mandoline if available.
- 5Layer one quarter of the potatoes in greased 8 inch square glass baking or casserole dish; top with one third of the onion and one quarter of the cheese.
- 6Repeat twice.
- 7Top with remaining potatoes.
- 8Strain cream mixture over potatoes, shaking casserole to distribute evenly; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- 9Bake at 300f degree oven until tender and knife inserted in bottom pierces potatoes easily, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- 10(Make ahead: let cool; cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat in 375f degree oven for 30 minutes.).
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato Gratin with Caramelized Onions
Serving Size: 1 (139 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 305.0
- Calories from Fat 233
- Total Fat 25.9 g
- Saturated Fat 15.2 g
- Cholesterol 88.9 mg
- Sodium 266.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 4.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: