1/2 Photos of Potato Gratin With Broth and Parmesan
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 15 mins
This is a simple and delicious Potato Gratin. I usually add some fresh minced herbs such as sage, thyme or parsley. I also never peel my potatoes no matter what potato dish I am making. (Except for gnocchi lol) Prep time is approximate. This is adapted from Cooks Illustrated, Nov. 1995 issue. I hope you enjoy as much as we do!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 29.58 ml unsalted butter, softened
- 532.32 ml low sodium chicken broth
- 2.46 ml table salt
- 0.59 ml ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 0.25 ml cayenne pepper (optional)
- 907.18 g russet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8-inch thick or less
- 59.14 ml parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 1Adjust oven rack to center position and heat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Rub bottom and sides of 5- to 6-cup gratin dish or shallow baking dish with garlic. Mince remaining garlic and set aside. Once garlic in dish has dried, about 2 minutes,spread dish with half the butter.
- 3Bring broth, salt, pepper, bay leaf, cayenne (if desired), potatoes, other herbs if you are using and reserved garlic to boil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally with wooden spoon (liquid will just barely cover potatoes). Reduce heat and simmer until liquid thickens, about 2 minutes.
- 4Pour potato mixture into prepared dish; shake dish or use fork to distribute potatoes evenly. Gently press down potatoes until submerged in liquid; dot with remaining butter.
- 5Bake for about 1 hour 15 minutes until golden brown, basting once or twice during first 45 minutes and topping with grated parmesan cheese after 45 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes and serve.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato Gratin With Broth and Parmesan
Serving Size: 1 (251 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 270.9
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 18.8 mg
- Sodium 430.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 9.3 g