Recipe by GinnyP
Judi generously shared this recipe with me after Thanksgiving dinner one year. Everybody loved these potatoes.
Top Review by Evie*
My favourite potato dish, and it had been too long since Id made it. Very similar to a gratin that I make but I have misplaced my recipe and when looking through your recipes GinnyP I came upon this and thought...yess!! Very rich and creamy, and love the added cheese, thanks for posting.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 lbs russet potatoes
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Peel the potatoes.
- Then with a mandoline, thinly slice.
- Begin layering them into a very lightly oiled 9x13 baking dish.
- Season each layer lightly with salt and pepper and sprinkle with grated cheese and onion.
- Repeat 3 or 4 times and end with a sprinkling of cheese.
- Pour heavy cream over all.
- Bake, uncovered, in the upper third of the oven for 45 to 50 minutes.
- This dish can wait, loosely covered, for half and hour or so.
- To hold it any longer, stop the cooking process just before the last bit of liquid has been absorbed and heat gently just before serving.