Recipe by charlie #5
Colorful, beautiful, delicious - what more do you want? Don't recall where I got this recipe.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 lb tomatoes, peeled, seeded, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh sweet basil, chopped
- 2 lbs baking potatoes, slice 1/4-inch thick
- 1⁄2 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh sweet basil, chopped (garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Oil an oval gratin dish.
- In a large frying pan sauté onion in olive oil 3-5 minutes. Add red pepper and sauté another 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring until excess moisture evaporates. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and 2 T basil.
- Spread half the potatoes on bottom of dish. Arrange half vegetable mixture on top and sprinkle with Gruyere. Repeat layers. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and cover tightly with foil.
- Place dish on baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake until tender and top is browned, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped basil.