Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 18 mins
This is a little like Colcannon *Irish dish*....but the potatoes are sliced, not mashed. Tastes great!..and not that difficult to make!
- 1 head savoy cabbage, cored, cleaned, and shredded finely
- 1 cup shredded meat, of your choice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus
- more unsalted butter, for greasing the gratin dish
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh chives, finely chopped to 1/4 cup
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 lbs baking potatoes, unpeeled and thinly sliced (about 1/8-inch, see Note*)
- 2 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter to bacon fat in frying pan.
- When it has melted add 1/2 the garlic and give it a quick stir with a wooden spoon to soften.
- Add the cabbage and coat it with the butter.
- Slowly let it wilt.
- Add shredded meat meat.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Remove from heat and add most of the chives, reserving a little for the garnish.
- Generously butter the bottom and sides of an ovenproof casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, 1 1/2 cups of cream, 1 cup of Parmesan, and the remaining garlic, Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Using your hands, place a layer of potatoes in the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and repeat with 2 more layers.
- Spoon the cabbage mixture on top and spread it out evenly over the potatoes.
- Top it off with 2 more layers of potato and Parmesan.
- Pour the remaining 1cup cream over the dish.
- Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan.
- Cover dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Remove foil and bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Leave for 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with fresh chives.
- *Note:Slice the potatoes immediately before using so they don't turn brown.