Recipe by southern chef in louisiana
Top Review by marypilat
I didn't have much luck with this recipe. First, the milk curdled. Second, the onions in the middle just were boiled strings. Next, and this is my fault, I used Yukon gold potatoes which were too waxy and didn't help the texture. My husband and I agreed that the only good part was the top where the gorgonzola had melted and browned.
- 2 large baking potatoes, unpeeled and very thinly sliced
- salt and black pepper
- ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium tart green apple, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup half-and-half
- 3⁄4 cup gorgonzola (3oz) or 3⁄4 cup other blue cheese, crumbled (3oz)
- 2 tablespoons of freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven 400°F.
- In 8 or 9 inch square baking dish arrange half the potatoes; season with salt and pepper and then sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Top with onion and apple; arrange the remaining potatoes on top.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add milk; cover with foil.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Top with cheese and bake uncovered 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.