Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
- 2 large baking potatoes, unpeeled and very thinly sliced
- salt and black pepper
- ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium tart green apple, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup half-and-half
- 3⁄4 cup gorgonzola (3oz) or 3⁄4 cup other blue cheese, crumbled (3oz)
- 2 tablespoons of freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven 400°F.
- In 8 or 9 inch square baking dish arrange half the potatoes; season with salt and pepper and then sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Top with onion and apple; arrange the remaining potatoes on top.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add milk; cover with foil.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Top with cheese and bake uncovered 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
I didn't have much luck with this recipe. First, the milk curdled. Second, the onions in the middle just were boiled strings. Next, and this is my fault, I used Yukon gold potatoes which were too waxy and didn't help the texture. My husband and I agreed that the only good part was the top where the gorgonzola had melted and browned.
lovely accompaniment to rare roast beef & simple green salad with balsalmic vinagrette & balsalmic pickled onions. Would not change a thing - easy to put together & made for a delightful meal on our first cool, wet night. Will make again & try to get my gorgonzola averse friends to try as well. Thankyou southern chef in LA
This is absolutely AMAZING!!!!!! I have made this a number of times now, and everyone loves it. I tend to feel the need to play with recipes, but I make this just as it is, and it turns out perfectly every single time. COMFORT FOOD!!!