Recipe by MarieRynr
Roast the squash and make the gnocchi a day ahead and then this dish may be put together quickly. I often use purchased potato gnocchi from the chill cabinet in my local supermarket and it is still delicious.
Top Review by Dr.JenLeddy
This was my first attempt at making gnocchi, so that may have been part of my problems, but I spent over 2 hours making this meal and seemed to be doing well till it came to putting everything in the pan with the mushrooms. When trying to lightly toss ingredients together my gnocchi seemed to disintegrate quite a bit into potato mush. So it tasted fine, but presentation was not so pretty, I've included a picture. My husband gave this a pass so we won't be making it again.
- 2 baked russet potatoes, cooled, peeled and grated
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND MUSHROOMS
- 1 small butternut squash, roasted and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sliced cremini mushroom (or shitake mushroom caps)
- 2 -3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sage leaves, cut into thin strips
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Plate the grated, cooked potatoes on a work surface in a mound. Make a well in the center and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the egg yolk and begin to knead in half the flour. When moistened, add the other half of flour and knead until the dough comes together. let it rest for 2 minutes.
- Fill a large pot with cold water, add 1 teaspoons salt and bring to a boil. Have a bowl of ice water nearby.
- Cut the dough into 4 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 1/2 inch log. Cut each log into 1/2 inch pieces. When the water is boiling drop the gnocchi into the water and boil until the pieces float to the surface, about 1 minute.
- Remove the gnocchi and plung into the ice water to stop the cooking, then let drain.
- Melt butter in a 10 inch skillet over medium high heat. Stir in mushrooms and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in cubed roasted squash and cooked potato gnocchi. Add lemon juice, sage strips and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook, tossing occasionally until gnocchi and squash start to brown, about 5 to 8 minutes.