Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
From Crazy Good Italian by Mike Isabella
- 4 large idaho potatoes, washed
- 4 quarts water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 2 large egg yolks, beaten
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Prick each potato several times with a fork, then place on baking sheet. Cook for about 1 hour. Remove from oven, let cool for 10-12 minutes until cool enough to handle.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once the water is boiling add 1 teaspoon salt. Meanwhile cut each potato open lengthwise; scoop out the flesh and place through a ricer, into a bowl.
- Stir in salt, Parmigiano, yolks and 1 cup of flour, just enough to combine to avoid overworking the dough (otherwise gnocchi will become tough).
- Roll out into 12 x 3/4 inch snake-like shape; sprinkle with flour to avoid sticking. Cut the ropes into 3/4 inch pieces. Press each piece lightly with the tines of a fork.
- In three batches, drop the gnocchi in the boiling water and let cook until the pieces all float, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove the gnocchi with a perforated spoon or skimmer and serve immediately.