Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Place some Fresh Tomato Sauce on top, and dinner is served! Or served with Mushroom Smothered Chicken. Very filling. And if time is an issue, see my Instant Potato Gnocchi, although it really doesn't take much longer than making mashed potatoes and is a great pasta substitute.
- 6 lbs potatoes
- 2 cups flour
- 2 eggs
- 4 lbs plum tomatoes, diced
- 2 ounces fresh basil, cut julienne
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- SCRUB the potatoes and place them, unpeeled, in a large pot of boiling water (lightly salted) and COOK for 45 minutes until tender but not overcooked.
- When cool, peel potatoes and mash- then add flour, eggs, salt and pepper.
- Roll dough into long thin rods, and cut into small pieces about 1-inch in length to form the dumplings.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil (add a touch of olive oil).
- Drop gnocchi in and cook for approximately 1 minute until they float to the top.
- Sauté garlic in olive oil over medium heat until golden brown.
- Add tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes then add gnocchi and top with basil, butter Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.