Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
A recipe I found on Taste.com.au by Australian Good Taste - June 1997 Recipe by Janene Brooks. This recipe calls for Desiree potatoes, which look similar to the US red-skinned potatoes. I did change the recipe a bit to add a bit more flavor. This states it serves one but I feel this could serve two with the potatoes, eggs, ham, cheese and veggies
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small desiree potato, unpeeled, thinly sliced
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 50 g shaved ham, torn into large pieces
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons finely grated parmesan cheese
- salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 5 large basil leaves (or herbs of your choice, thyme, parsley, rosemary)
- 1. Heat the butter or margarine and olive oil in small/medium frying pan (base about 15cm in diameter) over medium-low heat and cook potato for 5 minutes. Add the ham and cook for 5 minutes or until potato is just tender.
- Preheat grill on high. Whisk the eggs, milk, Parmesan and pepper in a bowl. Pour egg mixture over potato in frying pan. Push basil leaves into mixture and then lift the potato and ham to allow egg mixture to run in between. Reduce heat to low and cook for 6-7 minutes or until frittata is almost set but the top is still runny. Place the frying pan under the preheated grill for 1 minute or until frittata is set and top is lightly browned. Loosen frittata with a spatula and slide onto serving plate.
- Variations: Roasted capsicum & artichoke frittata: Preheat grill on high. Place 2 quarters of a small capsicum, skin-side up under preheated grill and cook for 8-10 minutes or until charred and blistered. Transfer capsicum to a sealed plastic bag and stand for 10 minutes. Peel skin from capsicum and cut the flesh into large pieces. Prepare frittata as above, substituting the prepared capsicum and 2 halved small artichoke hearts for the ham. Frittata with rocket: Toss 20g washed and dried rocket leaves with 1 ripe egg tomato, cut into thin wedges and a little balsamic vinegar to taste. Top the frittata with the rocket mixture, garnish with shaved parmesan and sprinkle with black pepper. Eggplant frittata: Use l thinly sliced baby eggplant in place of the potato and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes before adding the ham. Pasta & sun-dried tomato frittata: Use 1/2 cup leftover cooked penne pasta in place of the potato. Combine the pasta, ham, 1 tbs finely sliced drained sun-dried tomatoes and l00g baby spinach leaves with the egg mixture. Pour into the frying pan and continue as in the recipe above.
i used 1 slice of deli ham kinda minced up or chopped fine really good depends how fine you slice potatoes and i have madoline so i sliced pretty thin made a good breakfast zaar tour 8