Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Dialysis patients must avoid potassium and phosphorus at all costs. Potatoes contain potassium in the starch. Here is a method to prepare potatoes so that a small helping can be served once in a while and the whole family can enjoy.It is called leeching. 4 different recipes. Yellow cheese is a big "no" but cream cheese is ok. I am posting to help others with dietary concerns in this area. The diet for renal patients is totally different once you are on dialysis, now it is protein and no potassium or phosphorus. 40 minutes is combination of boiling and baking time for the cooking time.
- 4 white potatoes, medium
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 4 ounces butter, salt free
- white pepper, 3 shakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried cilantro (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mrs dash garlic and herb seasoning
- olive oil
- 2 green onions, sliced paper thin
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- Peel potatoes and drop them in water to cover. Let set about ten minutes and drain. Cover with fresh water and cover and cook. Leave whole.
- Note: You can put cold water over the potatoes and let set in the refrigerator for a least five hours if you wish or overnight but you must drain and rinse.
- Bring to boil, then simmer until cooked.(Do not let them fall apart.).
- Stick a fork in them to check if cooked.
- Pull off heat, and drain in colandar.
- Rinse with warm water and shake the potatoes.
- Rinse again and shake.
- Fried Potatoes:.
- Cut into squares or shred for hash browns or fried potatoes.
- Put olive oil in pan and heat on low to medium heat, Add potatoes and white pepper, Mrs. Dash.
- Cook until browned or crusty and turn over.
- Mashed Potatoes:.
- Cut each potato in pieces. In mixing bowl, add butter and cream cheese,.
- Add 1 tblsp whole milk if it needs more moisture.(Do not use fat free or skim milk, they are loaded with phosphorus and potassium.
- Add white pepper or black pepper, cilantro, Mrs. Dash. Mix in and serve.
- Skinned Baked Potato:.
- Dip whole potatoes in melted butter and sprinkle seasonings, then paprika.
- Place on a greased baking pan.
- Oven 375*.
- Bake until lightly browned and hot.
- Before serving, cut across the top lengthwise, push slightly with fingers on the ends so the potato pushes up in the center.
- Pass the sour cream and unsalted butter.
- Sprinkle with sliced green onions.
- Potato Large Fries:.
- Cut cooked potatoes lengthwise.
- Roll in unsalted butter, then sprinkle paprika over potatoes.
- Sprinkle with Mrs. Dash.
- Bake 375*.
- Bake until brown and a little crusty.
- Serve with Sour Cream (Ketchup or tomato products are not recommended for dialysis patients).