Recipe by yooper
This is an old standby in Pensylvania Dutch country! To use as a stuffing, increase bread to 6 slices and add 2 beaten eggs.
Top Review by 954077
This was a great recipe! I added chicken broth to the potatoes when mashing. also, didnt have celery on hand so used about 1/3 cup of green bell pepper. i fried my bread cubes in butter too after I shook them up in some italian season and salt/pepper. This is a great side dish when u need something heavier. GOOD EATS!!!
- 2 1⁄4 lbs potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 slices white bread, torn into pieces
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes.
- Drain and mash.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 2 quart casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, mix together the potatoes, white bread, onion, celery, salt and pepper.
- Pour into prepared casserole dish and bake for 1 hour.