Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Potato filling is common in Pennsylvania Dutch cooking, and a regular at our Thanksgiving meals. The soft inside with the browned crust is just delicious. Don't take my word for it, try it, you'll be glad you did.
- 11 medium potatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 2 1⁄2 medium onions, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 loaf potato bread, diced or 1⁄2 loaf white bread
- salt and pepper
- In a large pot melt butter over medium heat. Add potatoes, onions, celery and parsley. Steam until potatoes are tender, do not fry, you do not want to brown the potatoes.
- Put steamed mixutre into a large mixing bowl. Add eggs, a splash of milk (I eyeball the amount of milk, its just like making mashed potatoes, sometimes you need more and sometimes less) and breadcubes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Beat with handheld mixture (or mash) till fluffy.
- Bake at 375 degrees until top is golden brown.