Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Quick and easy
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 ounces feta cheese, diced fine
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- flour (for dipping)
- oil (for frying)
- Peel and dice the potatoes and boil until tender.
- Drain and return to the hot pot to steam dry for a minute.
- Mash thoroughly.
- Mash in the butter, then the egg.
- Mix in the feta cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir in the parsley.
- Form into patties and dip in the flour.
- Fry in hot oil until golden brown on both sides, approx 3-5 minutes.
Nice recipe: great flavor, nice texture with the crispy fried coating and smooth interior. I made these potato cakes as a side dish with great results... using idaho russets I made 6 "burger-size" cakes. 1 cake made the perfect side to lemon garlic roasted chicken and minted baby peas. As a side, I would say that this recipe would serve 4-6; as a vegetarian main entree I agree that this would make 2 generous servings. This would be a great way to use up leftover mashed potato, but is good enough to demand boiling those potatoes specifically to make these cakes! I did have to use a little extra butter because my mixture was dry(I think it's due to the variety of potato). Any suggestions on a better variety of potato for this recipe? In any case, it's a keeper. Thanks!
Great recipe but they fell apart a bit. However everyone liked it from age 21 months to 40 years. Definitely worth a go.
We had to use russets and I found that the patties fell apart a bit...how much oil would you need for frying them?? With the leftovers, I am going to make them more mini patties and see if they fry a little better that way. Thanks for sharing and easy comforting recipe.