Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The combination of Potato, Egglplant and Tomatoes is perfect. This was one of the first recipes I made when my husband and I were transitioning to a more meatless menu, and found it to be delicious. I'm sure it would be great as a meat dish if you substituted the soy crumbles for ground beef or turkey. I found it orginally on vegweb.com
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 large potato
- 1 large onion
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes or 2 large tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces soy crumbles (soaked in boiling water) or 12 ounces textured soy protein (soaked in boiling water)
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fennel
- 3 cups crushed tomatoes
- 6 ounces fresh spinach
- 3 cups soy mozzarella cheese
- Peel potatoes and eggplant and cut into 1/4 inch thick slices. Lightly brush both sides with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Place on parchment paper and cook in the oven on 400 degrees or until soft. (approx. 15 minutes).
- Saute onions in olive oil until translucent. Add oregano, parsley, basil, cilantro, garlic, fennel, diced tomatoes, and veggie crumbles.
- In 9x13 glass dish, lightly coat the bottom with crushed tomatoes. Layer the bottom of the dish with potatoes. Spread on a layer of "veggie meat” sauce. Then add the layer of spinach. Layer the eggplant and top with remaining veggie sauce. Top the casserole with the soy mozzarella cheese.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and bake at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes.