Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Very tasty and easy. It is served in cafeteria of the hospital I work at and is very popular.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 lbs frozen hash browns
- 12 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 ounces grated cheddar cheese (or more)
- 2 ounces bacon (or more)
- Cook,drain and crumble bacon.
- Melt butter or margarine in a skillet.
- Add onions and hash browns.
- cook and stir until potatoes are lightly browned.
- Grease a 9x13 inch pan and place hash browns in the bottom of the pan.
- Beat eggs,milk and salt and pepper 1- 2 minutes.
- Stir in grated cheese and bacon.
- Pour over potatoes.
- Bake at 350 degrees 45-50 minutes, until a knife inserted comes out clean.
Made this for Christmas Day breakfast. We enjoyed it quite a bit. Cooked nicely. However, I had to use Canadian Bacon - there isn't enough pizazz in that! Use real bacon or sausage. It does need more spice. Maybe add dry mustard or serve with salsa.
I fixed this for breakfast this morning and was quite surprised. I did cook my eggs a little before adding them, and I am anxious to try it again doing it as the recipe calls for. I might even add some sausage. Thanks for a tasty dish.
This is a good recipe. I think most people will find that it needs more salt/pepper etc. My husband wants more meat and spice next time I make this, but I will definately make it again. Easy and makes a lot!thnks for sharing it. Peggy in TX