Recipe by Charlotte J
This recipe has a few more spices in it. It is from Mrs. George C. Fiehler, from the cookbook "Heritage of Cooking" A Collection of Recipes from East Perry County, Missouri. To find out more about this cookbook read the description from the first recipe I posted from it Bier Suppe (Beer Soup)
Top Review by Laura2of7
This recipe would benefit from the addition of "croutons" to the list of ingredients, as well as the mention of needing an extra day (for cooked and riced potatoes to cool) in the prep time. I thought I could whip up some dumplings in under an hour, but it appears that I first need to make croutons and mashed potatoes.
- 2 lbs unsalted potatoes (cooked the day before and riced)
- 4 eggs (well beaten)
- 2 tablespoons salt (scant)
- 2 tablespoons onions (finely minced)
- 2 tablespoons parsley (finely minced)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup flour
Directions See How It's Made
- On day one cook and rice potatoes and put in the refrigerator.
- On the second day mix thoroughly with the remaining ingredients.
- Mold potato mixture firmly into small balls with croutons as center.
- (4 slices of bread, diced and toasted in butter provide enough croutons.) Molded dumplings are dropped into boiling salt water and cooked for 3 minutes.
- They are done when they rise to the surface.