Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Fredericksburg, TX was settled by German immigrants in the 1840's. The German influence is still strong there and their cooking is greatly influenced by the German kitchen. This recipe is taken from a cookbook published there in 1971.
- Boll potatoes until tender, then peel them and mash, or put through a ricer.
- Add the other ingredients and knead until smooth.
- Roll one sample dumpling into a ball about the size of a small egg and drop it into a pot of boiling water and let it cook for about 3 minutes. If it falls apart add more flour to the rest of the dough.
- Form the dough into balls with a crouton in the center of each and cook in boiling water for 12 minutes.
- Serve with any meat stew or with onion gravy or left over gravy of any sort.