Recipe by Dan-Amer #1
Fredericksburg, TX was settled by German immigrants in the 1840's. The German influence is still strong there and their cooking is greatly influenced by the German kitchen. This recipe is taken from a cookbook published there in 1971.
Directions See How It's Made
- Boll potatoes until tender, then peel them and mash, or put through a ricer.
- Add the other ingredients and knead until smooth.
- Roll one sample dumpling into a ball about the size of a small egg and drop it into a pot of boiling water and let it cook for about 3 minutes. If it falls apart add more flour to the rest of the dough.
- Form the dough into balls with a crouton in the center of each and cook in boiling water for 12 minutes.
- Serve with any meat stew or with onion gravy or left over gravy of any sort.