Prep 45 mins
Cook 25 mins
A great side dish for roast's, tomato-, herb-, onion-, mustard-, and fruit sauces. I like it best with a pork roast or with stewed dried fruits.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs potatoes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb cornstarch
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup stale seedless kaiser roll
- 1 little butter
- Boil potatoes with skin on.
- Peel as soon as they are done cooking, and press through a ricer (or grate on a grater).
- Boil the milk.
- Mix potatoes, salt, and cornstarch.
- Stir in hot milk.
- Let this mix cool, as it cools it will firm up.
- When mix is tepid, mix in baking powder.
- Cut the bread into small cubes and brown lightly in the butter.
- Shape the potato dough into small balls, and insert several bread cubes.
- In a large pot bring salted water to boil and boil a few dumpling at a time for about 20 to 25 min.
They had great flavor, esp alongside the saurbraten I made. They fell apart during the cooking procress thnough . I think I lost most of the cornstarch by the end. May have been something I did though. I will definitely give it another shot!