Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a recipe i've revised from a traditional German dish, Kartoffelklosse. my husband was skeptical, but after the first bite, it has been his favorite side dish. Enjoy
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until very tender.
- Drain, cover the pan, and return to moderate heat to evaporate all liquid from the potatoes.
- (important step!) Transfer to a mixing bowl and mash.
- Cool to room temperature, then add the nutmeg, egg yolks, salt, and pepper.
- Gradually work in the flour, using your hands, until the dough forms a ball.
- Place on a floured work surface and shape into a cylinder.
- Then cut it in a bias angle, into 2-inch pieces.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil.
- Place the dumplings in the boiling water.
- When the water returns to a boil and the dumplings rise to the surface, reduce the heat to simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Drain, sprinkle with parsley, and serve.
My Grandmother made these dumplings which we always refered to as "Nutmeg Dumplings" and they are wonderful!! They are wonderful in a soup or stew but if you just want to eat them as a side dish, brown a little butter and drizzle over dumplings. This was always the favorite way in our family!!!
i served this with gulash, and they tasted very good. They were a bit "crumbly" and didnt hold up very well while cooking, but were good averall. Thanks!
After 40 years of trying to duplicate my mil's dumplings, my husband announced PERFECT!!! Follow the recipe to a tee and you can't go wrong. Thanks a million Izzy.