Recipe by mainecooncat
This recipe is from a cooking class I once took. They make a nice change from the usual potato accompaniments. Nice with a beef or pork roast. Don't let the spices turn you away. They're just what the dumplings need.
Top Review by Mrs B
I think there's a knack to making these; and I don't have it :-) A bit of a sticky experience, but I suspect that was because I didn't allow enough cooling time at stage 2. Still the spices add a very nice twist and the lovely onion crumb topping helped hide even the worst of the very dodgey shaped dumplings :-)
- 6 medium potatoes, pared
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons onions, minced
- 1 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil potatoes and put through ricer.
- Let cool.
- Add eggs, spices and salt, beat well.
- Roll into balls the size of golf balls.
- Drop in boiling salted water to cover.
- Simmer 20 minutes.
- Lift out.
- Brown onion and bread crumbs in butter.
- Sprinkle crumb mixture over dumplings.