Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
from The Complete Vegan Cookbook- my friend made this for me and i absolutely loved it (and I usually don't care for potato salad). Can be made with 'non-vegan' sustitutes where desired. Cooking time is an estimate since I have never made it yet and does not include chill time.
- 3 lbs red potatoes, scrubbed and diced
- 1 large cucumber
- 3⁄4 cup soy mayonnaise or 3⁄4 cup safflower mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup minced chives, can also use (about 1 bunch)
- dried chives
- 4 green onions, minced
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 2 -3 hard-boiled eggs, diced (optional)
- Place the diced potatoes in a large pot and cover them with plenty of water. Cover the pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Remove the lid, stir gently, then continue to cook over medium-high heat for about 8 to 10 minutes, until the potatoes are fork-tender, but not falling apart. Transfer them to a colander and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking. Set aside to drain.
- If the cucumber is waxed or if the skin tastes bitter, peel it. Dice the cucumber and set aside in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, salt, pepper, and chives.
- Add the potatoes, onion, and bellpepper to the cucumber in the bowl. Pour the dressing over the mixture and toss gently until well combined. Chill before serving.