Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Official Contest Entry: Simply Potatoes 5Fix. This recipe provides the flavor and crunch of fried chicken without all the fat from frying. It can be seasoned simply with just salt and pepper or it can be spiced up with garlic, oregano, thyme, cayenne, or any other combination of seasonings. Grated parmesan cheese also adds a nice, salty, nutty flavor to the chicken. This recipe also works great for crusted pork chops, white, fatty fishes, and ground meats. Cook's note: I like to arrange the coated chicken on a baking rack over my baking sheet. This allows the heat to circulate all around the chicken and prevents the bottom from getting soggy.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the potatoes in a medium sized bowl and spray the potatoes with cooking spray until the potatoes are lightly coated with the spray. Season with salt and pepper.* Arrange the seasoned potatoes in a single layer on a sheet pan. Bake 20-30 minutes until the potatoes are just beginning to show color and becoming crispy at the edges, flipping half way through. Remove the potatoes from the oven, allow them to cool slightly, and place in a shallow dish (like a pie plate). Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs in a pie plate or shallow dish.
- In a separate pie plate, add the flour and season with salt and pepper.*.
- Pound each chicken breast until it is approximately 3/4 inches thick. Lightly season the breasts with salt and pepper.* Dredge each breast in the flour and then in the egg. Finally, coat each piece with the baked potato shreds, pressing the pieces into the chicken to ensure complete coverage. Place the coated chicken breasts on a baking rack over a baking sheet. Spritz the chicken with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until the temperature reaches 165 degrees on an instant read thermometer.
- *If additional herbs and spices are being used, they can be added to the potatoes, flour mixture, or they can be sprinkled directly on the chicken. For extra flavor, they can be added at each step.