Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
We like potatoes in our house, and this is one of our stand-bys for when I run out of inspiration. Easy to make with on hand ingredients.
- 1 (2 lb) kg potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 100 (3 1/2 ounce) g butter
- 10 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 2 cups fresh coarse breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Preheat ove the oven to moderately hot.
- Boil the potato until tender, drain and return to the pan, then mash until smooth.
- Melt half the butter in a small pan and add a tablespoon of oil.
- Cook the spring onion and garlic until soft, then add to the mashed potato with the milk.
- Mash together until smooth.
- Spoon into shallow casserole dish and smooth top.
- To make crumble topping:- Melt remaining butter and mix with the breadcrumbs, cheese and parsley.
- Sprinkle over the potato mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the topping is golden and crispy.
This was really good! The onion and garlic taste was subtle and not overpowering but added great flavor. I did substitute about 1/2 cup of sour cream for the milk in the potatoes. I used romano cheese for the topping because thats what I had in the house and it was great.
Tasty 'taters! The next time I make them I will add more cheese. I added seasoning salt to the taters when I mashed them for a little more flavor. Very good!
We liked this dish...it is a nice change from ordinary potatoes! I had this half prepared when i discovered i only had one small clove of garlic, so i used some garlic powder and i also sprinkled some onion salt in the mashed potato as I was also short on the green onion. I used a total of 1/2 cup of butter & used grated cheddar in the topping, but think I will use parmesan next time. I put this in a 9x9 pan and baked it at 350. Looking forward to trying again with the proper amount of ingredients!