These are great as tapas, or as a side dish, courtesy of Gourmet.
Make and share this Potato Croquettes With Saffron Aioli recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb large potato, peeled and cubed
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- salt and pepper
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 4 cups olive oil (for frying)
- 8 saffron threads, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot water
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon tomato paste
- salt, pepper to taste
- For Aioli.
- Put saffron and hot water in a small cup, let stand 5 minutes.
- Puree with remaining Aioli ingredients in a blender, refrigerate.
- For Croquettes.
- Put diced potatoes in a pot, cover with water and boil 10 minutes until tender.
- Mash with a masher and cool.
- Beat 1 egg, add to potatoes with herbs, butter, salt and pepper.
- Form into small balls on a plate.
- Beat remaining 2 eggs in a bowl.
- Add flour to one plate and bread crumbs to another.
- Roll the potato balls in flour, dip into eggs, roll in bread crumbs.
- Place on a tray lined with foil.
- Chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Heat oil in a pot until temp reaches 360--or use a deep fryer.
- Fry in batches until browned.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain, then place on a tray in the oven to keep warm.
- Serve croquettes with saffron aioli.