Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Soup for the soul!
Make and share this Potato-Crab Chowder recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 cups potatoes, skin on, 1 inch cubed
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 (14 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can lump crabmeat
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch parsley
- Saute onion& garlic in melted butter in large sauce pan for 4 minutes.
- Add potato and saute 1 minute.
- Sprinkle in flour, cook for 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Add milk, pepper, nutmeg, corn and broth.
- Bring to a simmer over med heat stirring frequently.
- Cover and reduce heat to low for a 20 minute simmer.
- Stir in crab meat and parsley, cook 5 minutes.
- Serve or pour into crock pot on low or warm.
This is an excellent recipe for crab chowder. I followed the recipe with only a few changes. I added 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper along with the black pepper. I also added about 1/4 cup of sherry at the end of cooking time. We loved it!
Very good base with many options. First time I added lump crab. Today went straight vegetarian and sauteed tiny diced zucchini, carrots, sweet red pepper along with the listed veggies (onion, garlic, potato); very colorful and nutritious. Both times I also added additional sweet frozen corn for a little crunch and sweetness. Loved the nutmeg. Both times I made this chowder I used 1/2 and 1/2 instead of milk and also added 1-2 TBSP of sherry at the very end. Very nice combination of flavors and textures. As stated a above, a good base with limitless combinations of broths/stocks, dairy/soy, seafoods, shredded chicken, etc.
10/18/10 Update. I have to rave again about this recipe. I took the extra time to fry up some bacon and carmelize the onions in the renderings and still added the Old Bay and used the Cajun Seasoning in liu of the cayenne pepper. There were 5 people at the table but I expanded the recipe to feed 9. I'm glad I did since nearly everyone had seconds. Even my super picky kid likes this!! ****************** 12/22/08: Absolutely fabulous! This is so easy to make and oh so satisfying. I added a 1/2 teaspoon of Old Bay and used Cajun seasoning blend in place of the cayenne. My nine year old son loved it. Next time I will try adding some bacon like some of the other reviewers have done. This is a keeper for sure! Thanks ever so much for sharing.