Recipe by Whisper
I love soups and chowders on cold winter nights. Although I haven't tried this recipe, it looks inviting served with a loaf of warm, fresh homemade bread. Cook time is combination time to cook vegetables and simmer time.
Top Review by Sharon123
I halved this recipe and it made a lovely dinner for the 3 of us! I served this with crackers and a tuna salad for a nice light supper. Thanks Whisper! Instead of boullion cubes I used powdered chicken style seasoning.
- 4 cups peeled diced potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 6 cups scalded milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
Directions See How It's Made
- In large Dutch oven or kettle, combine potatoes, onion, carrot, salt, pepper, parsley and bouillon cubes.
- Add enough water to just cover vegetables.
- Cook until vegetables are tender, about 15-20 minutes; do not drain.
- Scald milk by heating until tiny bubbles form around edges of pan.
- Remove 1 1/2 cups milk from saucepan.
- Stir butter and flour into this milk with a wire whisk.
- Add remaining milk to vegetables.
- Gradually stir thickened milk into kettle until well blended.
- Simmer 15 minutes on low heat.