Recipe by Hey Jude
Homemade potato chips are one of my favorite comfort foods. I especially love them when they're purple and gold, but regular russets are good too.
Top Review by evelyn/athens
OK, how can you NOT give a buttery-crisp, home-made potato chip anything BUT 5 stars. Nothing complex as a recipe, no weird ingredients, but honest-to-goodness addictive taste. (I shouldn't have made these - I've eaten nearly all of them!) Yes, I recommend the recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 cups clarified butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups canola oil
- 4 potatoes (2 purple Peruvian and 2 Yukon gold, or 4 regular russets)
- kosher salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat clarified butter and oil in a medium, deep saucepan to 300°.
- Cut unpeeled potatoes into paper thin slices; deep-fry in batches for 4-5 minutes or until crisp and oil around chips is no longer bubbling.
- (Moisture in potatoes causes the bubbles; once the bubbles stop, the chips will be crisp) Drain on paper towels; sprinkle with kosher salt.