Recipe by Maeby
A heart healthier, yet flavorful and scrumptious version by chef and author Devin Alexander. Initially, I was skeptical this could taste good being that a) it's coated with Baked Ruffles, and b) it's baked. But one bite of these, and I had a whole paradigm shift about how tasty healthy cooking can be. Hopefully you'll find that this is a keeper just as I have.
- 6 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, visible fat removed
- 1⁄3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 1⁄2 ounces ruffles baked potato chips, finely crushed, about 1/2 cup
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken breasts between 2 sheets of plastic wrap or wax paper.
- Use flat side of mallet to pound chicken to an even 1/2 inch thickness.
- Place flattened chicken and buttermilk into resealable plastic bag.
- Seal bag and turn to coat chicken completely. Refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight. Make sure to rotate once or twice.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Lightly mist a small nonstick baking sheet with olive oil spray.
- In a small bowl, mix together the onion powder, paprika, black pepper, salt, and cayenne. Place crushed potato chips into a medium shallow bowl.
- Remove one chicken breast from the buttermilk and let any excess liquid drip off.
- Season both sides evenly with the seasoning mixture.
- Transfer the breast to the bowl of crushed potato chips and cover completely with chips.
- Place coated chicken on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining chicken breast. Discard any remaining marinade.
- Lightly spray the top of both chicken breasts with olive oil spray. Bake for 4 minutes, and then carefully flip the chicken over with spatula, taking care not to remove the coating.
- Again, lightly spray the chicken tops with olive oil spray and bake until the coating is crispy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Chicken is ready when coating is crispy and chicken is no longer pink inside.