This is a recipe from the Radiant Recovery website. Adapted to fit my allergies and our tastes. A very easy recipe that's great on a cold winter night.
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef (I use 96% lean)
- 1 teaspoon grapeseed oil
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 4 cups potatoes, diced (you may leave the peel on)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup water (more if needed)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef with oil, onion and jalapeno.
- Add potatoes to pan with tomatoes, water and spices.
- Simmer covered, about 25-30 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
Different and very good chili. I really like the potatoes in it, and it does taste like chili! We made an even healthier version with Morningstar veggie crumbles, which work so well in recipes like this. I also followed other reviewers and doubled the cumin and oregano, and added a red pepper and garlic. Ate the leftovers with some lime, cilantro and nonfat sour cream and that was even better.
We really enjoyed this recipe! I used a can of diced tomatoes with chilies, and doubled the meat and spices, I also added a diced red bell pepper. This will be something I can make for my Dad who is unable to eat chili with beans due to dietary restrictions. Thank you so much for posting!
Delicious! I don't know why I never thought of using potatoes in replacement for beans in chili. My son doesn't like beans, so I don't make chili that often even though everyone else in my family loves chili. This was a hit with my family! Thank you for sharing your recipe!