Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
My husband's favourite. Heavenly! It WON'T curdle (i promise) if using the KRAFt Old English Cheese.
- 2 -3 large potatoes (prefer White Rose)
- 1 (14 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 slices bacon, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1 (5 -10 ounce) jar Kraft Old English cheese spread (Kraft Brand with blue lid)
- Take ONE potato, cut into medium dice.
- place cut-up potato and water to pan, cook til potatoes VERY soft.
- Mash it with potatoes masher (leave the water).
- cut remaining potatoes to bite size.
- Add them to the mashed potatoes in the water.
- Add more water (depends on how much's evaporated).
- Cook the bite-size potatoes til tender.
- Meanwhile, Saute bacon, onion, celery til transparent.
- Once potatoes tender, add bacon/celery mixture and the evaporated milk.
- continue boiling and stir.
- Add the cheese.
- taste, adjust to your own liking.
Izzy, my sister has always raved about my mother's potato cheese soup. I served this the other night and she said this was even better! The recipe did not make enough for my entire family, so all I did was add another jar of cheese spread, another potato and a can of chicken broth. Scrumptious!
Izzy this is great! I used a 255 gram jar of the Kraft Cheddar Cheese for this recipe, didnt need to add cornflour, it didnt curdle. I also used 4 slices of bacon, and 2 celery ribs. The smoothness and flavour of the cheese really makes this a tasty soup. We will have this again for sure. Thanks for posting. =)
I got responses from people who wanted to try my recipe but couldn't find the "Kraft Old English cheese spread". I experimented with other brands and find that if you add a tablesppon or two of corn startch to the cheese spread, it will never curdle! So good luck people! ~Izzy