Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found these online about 6 years ago and never posted them. What I like is that they are savory and a combination of both cheese and potato.The potato-cheese latkes prep time = 15 mins & frying time = 10 mins per batch. The apple-pear sauce prep time = 10 mins & cooking time = 20 mins. While there is nothing like the traditional applesauce and sour cream, here's this variation - easy to make and tastes great!!!!;)
- 2 potatoes
- 2⁄3 lb of farmer's cheese (IMHO the farmer's cheese is the best!) or 2⁄3 lb dry curd cottage cheese (IMHO the farmer's cheese is the best!) or 2⁄3 lb dry feta cheese (IMHO the farmer's cheese is the best!)
- 2 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons matzo meal or 2 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (eliminate if using feta cheese) or 1⁄4 teaspoon tamari (eliminate if using feta cheese)
- 1⁄2 tsp.white pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic or 2 garlic cloves
- peanut oil
- 8 medium apples
- 5 medium pears
- 3 teaspoons lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or to taste)
- Peel, cube, and boil potatoes.
- Mash & add cheese.
- Beat eggs well and add.matzoh meal or flour, baking powder, and spices.
- Heat oil until hot and put large spoonful for each pancake.
- Cook until brown and flip.
- *VARIATION: Use one potato and 10 oz. package of spinach (frozen or cooked), well drained and chopped. This is especially tasty if you're using feta.
- APPLE-PEAR SAUCE: (Pareve).
- Core and cut apples and pears.
- Cover well with water and cook until soft.
- Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Put through foley food mill (I see them often in second hand stores) or force through colander to remove skins and seeds.
- Mix in lemon rind and cinnamon.