Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is in answer to a question on the threads, it is based on a Recipe from the Australian Womens Weekly
- 39 g butter
- 4 slices bacon, cut into strips
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 kg potato, chopped
- 750 ml chicken stock, preferably home made
- 125 g grated cheddar cheese
- chopped chives, to serve
- Melt the butter in a large pan, add the bacon and cook until crisp.
- Remove the bacon from the pan with a slotted spoon, leaving as much fat as possible.
- Add the onion to the same pan and cook for 5 minutes, or until very soft and golden.
- Add the paprika and cook for further 30 seconds.
- Return the bacon to the pan and add the potato and stock.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are very soft.
- Stir or mash lightly to break up the potato.
- Add the Cheddar and stir well, until it is melted through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve topped with a sprinkling of chopped chives.
love this dish! I added extra bacon and cheese. my whole family loved this dish. it is definitely a keeper!
Made it for bf and self. Added extra cheese and wish I had added some more bacon. I also think next time I will add some half and half in place of stock. Overall great recipe though. Just a little tweak for perfection. Thanks!
Excellent Soup! Since we all like the skins, I just scrubbed the potatoes and then chopped them. I will be making this again, and again ...