Recipe by Kit^..^ty Of Canada
This is a lovely soup with the addition of the broccoli & cauliflower. It is a lighter soup and the vegetables add a nice colour. From Country Home Magazine.
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (6 cloves)
- 2 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 5 cups chicken stock or 5 cups chicken broth
- 8 ounces broccoli
- 8 ounces cauliflower
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (4 oz.)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a Dutch oven cook onions in hot oil and butter until soft and golden brown.
- Add garlic and continue cooking.
- Add potatoes, carrots, and chicken stock.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, separate broccoli into small flowerets (reserve) and tender stems, discarding tough stems.
- Coarsely chop tender stems.
- Core and separate cauliflower into small flowerets.
- Add broccoli stems and cauliflower to potato mixture.
- Cover; simmer 45 minutes.
- Add broccoli flowerets and cook, covered, for 15 minutes more.
- Add milk, cream, cheese, salt, and pepper to vegetable mixture.
- Lightly puree with a potato masher until coarsely blended to desired texture.
- Add water, if needed, to desired consistency.
- Note: I use an immersible blender.