Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Nice way to use leftover potatoes! This recipe comes from a local newspaper.
Make and share this Potato Cheddar Scones recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 425*F.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the two flours together with baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Using a pastry blender (or your hands), cut butter into flour mixture until crumbly.
- Stir in the shredded potatoes, cheese, poppy seeds and dill.
- Make a well in the center and add enough milk to make a soft dough (adding more milk as needed).
- Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and gently knead several times.
- Pat into two 6 to 8-inch rounds about 1-inch thick.
- Cut each into 6 to 8 wedges.
- Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Bake until lightly golden, about 12 to 16 minutes.
- Makes 12 to 16 Scones.
Barbara, had to come back again and change my review!! Strangest thing happened, we tried the scones hot from the oven, they seemed very heavy and to be honest we were not too impressed, but the taste was good and I had to cook them for a good 20 minutes. In any case, I put them on the table at dinner, cold, with butter on the side. Strangest thing they had improved considerably!! It was almost like they had not finished cooking when we tried them earlier, now they were not nearly as heavy, so I guess it boils down to letting them sit awhile and cool down. Funny Have never had this happen to scones before, we have always eaten them almost right out of the oven. Soo in the end DH said they were a 5 at supper and i should go back and change the first review. Thanks again for sharing, I will do them again, may even go buy some poppy seeds!!