Just Call Me Martha's Note:
This is an exciting alternative to basic mashed potatoes and makes an interesting and attractive side dish to any kind of meat, poultry or fish. The celery root adds a wonderfully distinct flavour. I suggest using the chicken stock and always, always use the fresh herbs. This recipe is from the LCBO Food and Drink magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups water
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch dice
- 1 small celery root, peeled and cut into 1 inch dice (celeriac)
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1 inch dice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grated horseradish (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup whipping cream (optional)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Combine stock (or water) and garlic in a large pot over medium high-heat.
- 2Bring to boil, cover and reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes.
- 3Add potatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- 4Then, add celery root and parsnips and cook uncovered for 15 minutes or until all vegetables are soft.
- 5Drain vegetables, reserving the liquid and then mash vegetables with a potato masher.
- 6Stir in olive oil, horseradish, chopped herbs and cream.
- 7If necessary, add a small amount of reserved liquid to make a soft puree and season to taste.
- 8Place in serving dish.
- 9Cut leek into long julienne strips.
- 10Heat oil in small skillet until very hot.
- 11Add leaks and cook for 20 seconds or more until golden brown.
- 12Remove immediately from oil and drain on paper towels.
- 13Season with salt.
- 14Sprinkle on top of potatoes and serve.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato, Celeriac & Parsnip Mash With Leek Frizzle
Serving Size: 1 (364 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 362.9
- Calories from Fat 182
- Total Fat 20.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 4.8 mg
- Sodium 240.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 7.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: