Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The maligned, knobbly vegetable known as celeriac or celery root is very mild in flavour, especially when cooked (like a slightly nutty potato). Paired with standard potatoes and sliced onions in a scalloped-style dish, it's so delectable you'll wonder why you haven't tried it before!
- 4 large russet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1cm thick slices
- 1 large celeriac, peeled and sliced into 1cm thick slices (about 1 1/2 lbs)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- kosher salt or sea salt
- ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2⁄3 cup grated white cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup full fat sour cream
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Place the potatoes, celeriac and onion in a bowl and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Add the garlic, 3/4 of the cheese, milk and sour cream and the rosemary.
- Mix everything around to mix all the flavours. Pour into a casserole dish.
- Sprinkle over the extra cheese, and bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes, or until tender and golden. Remove rosemary stalks and serve.