Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a good way to get my kids to eat spinach and is a delightful dish.
Make and share this Potato Casserole with Spinach and Feta recipe from Food.com.
- 12 potatoes (about 5 lbs.)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup light sour cream or 3⁄4 cup regular sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 cups crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese or 2 cups regular feta cheese
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Peel potatoes, cut in half and drop into cold water.
- Drain and place in a large saucepan and cover with hot water.
- Cover Saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and continue boiling gently, partially covered until potatoes are tender, about 20 to 30 minutes. Mash with a potato masher. Stir in butter, sour cream, salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a 9x13 inch baking dish. Wash fresh spinach leaves. Place wet leaves in a microwave-safe dish, cover and microwave on high until just wilted, from 2 to 3 minutes. Or place in a wide saucepan and stir over medium heat just until wilted, about 5 minutes. When cool enough, squeeze handfuls of spinach until dry. Coarsely chop and place in a medium size bowl.
- Combine the spinach, garlic and feta cheese.
- Stir spinach mixture into potatoes.
- Spoon into buttered dish swirling top slightly.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered until golden and a knife inserted in center feels warm, 40-50minutes.
I wasn't so thrilled with this recipe--It tasted like regular mashed potatoes. One of the good points about this is that it has spinach which is so good for you, but you cannot taste it, and therefore my 2 year old will eat it without a problem.
Ok, so let me start by saying my Mom and her siblings from out of country were at my place for dinner. I had never made this dish. I doubled it cause of the amount of guests I had and OH MY! SOOOO good! My Mom even hugged me for this dish. I made it in the morning, covered it and refrigerated it. Cooked it as directed and it was DIVINE. Thank you, I will be making this again and again:)
The family enjoyed this recipe. I used less feta as I only had about 1 cup and I used asiago cheese instead of the parmesan.